Chances are, you know about the massive amount of shadow IT and wasted spend that accumulates from SaaS.
If you work in corporate financial planning, what should you know about managing SaaS spend? We’re here to tell you, along with how you can do it faster with Alpin.
For the purposes of this post, I am also assuming you know how important effective SaaS discovery is. We’ll assume that you’re using multiple discovery methods to aggressively find shadow SaaS to make managing it possible.
SaaS Spend Management Starts With Licenses
Optimizing or cutting licenses can result in significant cuts to SaaS spending.
Why is straightforward, but how often does this really happen? All the time!
Employees regularly receive licenses that are rarely or infrequently used. Or, employees who left 3 years ago still have access and a paid license. There may be a lot of wasted spend on unnecessary licenses.
We also recommend starting with licenses because finding them can be fast with a tool like Alpin. Alpin can automatically show you the amount of wasted spend on numerous SaaS licenses, along with the users associated with the wasted spend.
In very little time, you can have a list of the relevant people needed to see massive cost savings realized.
SaaS Spend Management Requires Information And Planning
Many finance or purchasing departments lack a unified view of SaaS spend, payment history, and contract renewals.
That makes reporting or forecasting impossible, despite shadow IT comprising roughly half of technology spending.
But a tool such as Alpin delivers the automation and smarts necessary to:
- Pull reports based on category, department, or basically anything you can think of through tagging.
- View all renewals in a single, consolidated calendar and avoid overspending or auto-renewals.
- Use your newfound data to negotiate better contracts, limiting vendor negotiating advantage.
Never get surprised by SaaS spend again.
SaaS Spend Management Can Help With Softer Costs Across Your Company
I think most financial planners can appreciate the benefits of “two birds, one stone.” An effective SaaS spend management strategy brings soft savings across the organization:
- Avoiding costs: discover license compliance issues before potentially expensive software audits.
- Reducing response time: get alerted quickly when any of your vendors experience a breach, along with which users were impacted.
- Increasing automation: IT or HR staffers can handle employee onboarding and offboarding in a more streamlined fashion, with checklists to ensure employees that leave stay out of your systems.
If you want to learn about all the ways SaaS management helps companies with our post series, What Do I Get If I Start Managing SaaS? Or, get a customized ROI calculator to see if Alpin is right for you.
If you’re looking to get more serious about SaaS spend management, we have even more financial and automation features to show you. Contact us for a demo or start a 14-day trial. You’ll see how Alpin can work for you. Get started by emailing email@example.com.